From Press Release –
Yesterday, under spotlights at the Dempsey Indoor Track at the University of Washington, the nation’s fastest high school athletes sprinted to the finish at the Brooks PR Invitational. These runners rewrote history, producing one U.S. high school record in the boy’s 60M Hurdles, four Dempsey Indoor records, and seven nation-leading high school times.
Highlights from yesterday’s meet include:
· U.S. 60M Hurdles record broken: Donovan Robertson (Berea, OH) ran a scorching 7.57 in the Boy’s 60M Hurdles, breaking the previous high school record of 7.60.
· Number two and three all-time performances in Boy’s 400M: Najee Glass (Woodbridge, NJ) and Aldrich Bailey (Arlington, TX) grabbed the number one and two spots for this season and the number two and three spots all-time with their 46.06 and 46.07 performances, respectively.
· Number two all-time Girl’s 60M: Shayla Sanders (Pompano Beach, FL) finished just .02 short of breaking another U.S. high school record with a time of 7.21 in the Girl’s 60M.
· Four Dempsey Indoor records shattered: Previously set high school, college, and professional times were smashed on Sunday in the Girl’s 60M, Girl’s 400M, Boy’s 400M, and Boy’s 60M Hurdles.
· Seven of the nation’s number one high school times: Nation-leading times were set in the Girl’s 60M, Girl’s 400M, Girl’s Mile, Girl’s 2 Mile, Boy’s 60M, Boy’s 400M, and Boy’s 60M Hurdles.
· First two-time Brooks PR Invitational champion: Courtney Okolo (Carrollton, TX), not only claimed the number one spot in the U.S. for the Girl’s 400M, but also became a two-time winner breaking her previous meet record by more than a second.
“The Brooks PR Invitational brought together the nation’s top runners in a rare setting that was totally devoted to a Run Happy athlete experience,” said Jesse Williams, Brooks’ sports marketing manager. “U.S. high school, Dempsey Indoor, and Brooks PR Invitational records were all broken, setting a high bar for the sport and the remainder of the season.”
Featuring more than 120 athletes from 26 states and Canada, the Brooks PR Invitational produced quick performances in all six events. Breaking the tape were:
– Levonte Whitfield (Orlando, FL) 6.71
– Shayla Sanders (Pompano, FL) 7.21 – Brooks PR Invitational record
– Donovan Robertson (Berea, OH) 7.57 – U.S. high school record, Dempsey Indoor record, Brooks PR Invitational record
– Dior Hill (Denver, CO) 8.28 – Brooks PR Invitational record
– Najee Glass (Woodbridge, NJ) 46.06 – Dempsey Indoor record, Brooks PR Invitational record
– Courtney Okolo (Carrollton, TX) 53.21 – Dempsey Indoor record, Brooks PR Invitational record
– Tyler Smith (Wetaskiwin, CAN) 1:51.83
– Cami Chapus (Los Angeles, CA) 2:10.69
– Marcus Dickson (Buckley, WA) 4:07.18 – Brooks PR Invitational record
– Hannah Meier (Grosse Pointe Farms, MI) 4:43.28 – Brooks PR Invitational record
– Daniel Vertiz (Fairfield, CT) 8:59.15 – Brooks PR Invitational record
– Molly Siedel (Hartland, WI) 10:13.45 – Brooks PR Invitational record
For complete results, visit http://www.flotrack.org/article/10913-RESULTS-2012-Brooks-PR-Invitational.