We announced earlier this year that we had a Big Surprise about a NEW event in September 2018. Some guessed that we were going to be hosting a new Triathlon event and although we have thought about it, Best in the West already hosts a fabulous Triathlon event in September and we love Blair and Staci so we didn’t want to do that. So here’s the big news…
We are launching the Inaugural GREAT NORTHWEST Marathon, Half Marathon & Sunset 5K in Vancouver WA on September 15th & 16th, 2018 so save the date now. Registration will open soon on November 1st and we’ve got some really exciting plans! Here’s a list of some of the highlights of this new event:
- It will be a “Run through History” and will take you on a flat, fast and extremely scenic course through Fort Vancouver, Officer’s Row, the Army Barracks, Pearson Airport – the oldest operating airport in the USA, the Historical Old Apple Tree, along the majestic Columbia River and many other historical vantage points. You’ll enjoy beautiful views of Mount Hood, both Interstate bridges, Marine Park, Wintler Park & more. There’s so much to see that the miles will fly by!
- Boston Qualifier – This may be your first opportunity to qualify for Boston 2019! A September event will allow you to train through the summer months and get you a fast, qualifying time.
- Heavily supported, and energetic event with Water Stations and Entertainment at EVERY mile!
- Very Spectator Friendly – There are plenty of opportunities along the course for your friends & family to cheer you on!
- 3 Distances – Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K allows the opportunity for everyone to participate!
- 2 Loop Marathon course – offers many advantages including the ability to provide more water stations, support, entertainment and spectators along the course. It will be an extremely supportive event for the first time Marathoner and a fast event for our veterans who are looking for a Personal Best. It also eliminates the Train Track Delays (no one wants to train hard and then be stopped by a train affecting your pace and ability to qualify for Boston). Also, by doing 2 Loops, the course is scenic the whole time versus having half the course in old, boring, industrial areas.
- FREE Deschutes Brewery Beer! Need we say more?!
- Post-event meal, party, expo and music in quaint Esther Short Park in Downtown Vancouver!
- Big Bling – You know we’re going to go Big for the Inaugural Year! We are known for our SWAG!
- The Sunset 5K on Saturday evening prior to the Marathon & Half Marathon will offer a shorter distance for our friends, family and others in the community who would like the opportunity to enjoy the racing experience. It will also allow for a Pre-race shake-down for our Marathon and Half Marathon athletes and the opportunity for them to earn the coveted BEAST medal for an athlete who races both Saturday and Sunday. Yep, some people will definitely do that!
BONUS – Major fundraiser for our local schools, clubs and non-profits! Last year, our events were able to raise over $170,000 for our community. We are excited to offer another opportunity for local programs to benefit at the Great Northwest Marathon!
We hope you are as excited as we are! We have so many amazing ideas and will continue to brainstorm to make this event an annual favorite in the Northwest! Registration for all 2018 events will open on November 1st and you can view the entire schedule here.
Sherri McMillan and your WHY Racing Team
ps. Join us for our last event of the year – Scary Run 5K, 10K & Half Marathon next Sunday October 29th! Online Registration closes on Wednesday! $5 from each registration will go to Friends of the Gorge to help our beautiful Columbia River Gorge! Registration & Details for Scary Run here.