Five Americans race to podium spots in run-bike-run event
DALLAS, Texas — Erin Jones led the way for the U.S. at the Dallas CAMTRI Sprint American Cup on Saturday, while Sean Jefferson finished second in the men’s race as the U.S. captured five medals in the triathlon turned run-bike-run event.
Originally scheduled to begin with a 750-meter swim in Lake Carolyn just outside of the Marriott Las Colinas, elite triathletes competing in the CAMTRI American Cup race covered a 5-kilometer run, 20-kilometer bike, 2.5-kilometer run course on Saturday morning, with Jones (Hood River, Ore.) topping the women’s field in a time of 1 hour, 43 seconds. Summer Cook (Thornton, Colo.) finished second for the women in 1:01:30, and Calah Schlabach (Arlington, Va.) took third in 1:02:24.
In the men’s race, Jefferson (Palisades, Calif.) finished 10-seconds off the pace of winner Russell Pennock of Canada, earning his first podium finish of 2015 in 54:18. Pennock clocked in at 54:08 for the win, and Jason West (State College, Pa.) grabbed his second bronze medal of the season in CAMTRI American Cup event with a time of 54:22.
In total, the U.S. elite men and women combined for 14 top-10 finishes in Dallas.
In addition to the CAMTRI American Cup, Dallas also hosted USA Triathlon Youth F1 (ages 12-16) Saturday morning. These events are designed to provide top up-and-coming triathletes with draft-legal racing experience.
Competing on a 5k run, 10k bike, 1k run course, Cassidy Hickey (Parker, Colo.) posted the fastest time for the girls’ race in 30:49, while Jonathan McAlister (Argyle, Texas) posted the fastest time for the boys’ race in 25:47. Complete F1 results are available online here.
Dallas CAMTRI American Cup
5k run, 20k bike, 2.5k run
Women’s Top-10 Finishers
1. Erin Jones (Hood River, Ore.), 1:00:43
2. Summer Cook (Thornton, Colo.), 1:01:30
3. Calah Schlabach (Arlington, Va.), 1:02:24
4. Erin Dolan (Bentonville, Ark.), 1:02:38
5. Adriana Isaura Carreno (MEX), 1:02:54
6. Johanna Gartman (Chattanooga, Tenn.), 1:03:08
7. Meghan Degan (Marietta, Ga.), 1:03:20
8. Alexandra Gordichuk (CAN), 1:03:55
9. Molly Higgins (Randolph, N.J.), 1:05:37
10. Katie Gorczyca (Las Vegas, Nev.), 1:05:39
Men’s Top-10 Finishers
1. Russell Pennock (CAN), 54:08
2. Sean Jefferson (Palisades, Calif.), 54:18
3. Jason West (State College, Pa.), 54:22
4. Robby Webster (Seattle, Wash.), 54:30
5. Alex Willis (Leadville, Colo.), 54:35
6. John O’Neill (Vail, Colo.), 55:17
7. Stefan Zachaeus (LUX), 55:30
8. Edson Gomez (MEX), 55:45
9. Josh Izewski (Phoenix, Ariz.), 56:24
10. Hernan Dario Rubiano Valero (COL), 57:05